Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Advanced anti-armour base defense
Highly explosive shell
15 (Minimum 3)
|“|| The French Grand Cannon is the ultimate defensive gun, firing at long range for massive damage.|
- Red Alert 2 France multiplayer loading screen
Soviet rush tactics had left French commanders reeling with terror. Sensing that their Pillbox and Turret somewhat were ineffective against rushes, the French quickly revamped their defensive structure. As they felt that the pillbox design had somewhat reached its maturity, they chose to utilize a Turret design instead. The modification included adding an artillery cannon with a very large caliber and reinforcing the armour. Thus, the Grand Cannon was born. Other Allied countries, however, thought this structure was somewhat overwhelming, thus it was not fully adopted by them.
The Grand cannon is basically a large turret capable of firing very powerful shells to an extreme range. The cannons are effective against both infantry and tanks, and would cause considerable collateral damage in the area around the target. Any lightly armoured unit that was unlucky enough to get within its range of fire could be destroyed in a single shot, which includes some infantry as well. They also do splash damage, so even when playing against an easy enemy in skirmish, a Grand cannon can kill AI basic infantry battalions with three shots at most. Their range is comparable to that of most siege units, and only air units can safely dispatch these gargantuan turrets.
A few Grand cannons, presumably French-built, were also found in use in the United States, namely in San Francisco and Chicago. In Chicago, the Cannons guarding the way into the city were acquired by the Soviet forces upon the city's capture and had to be destroyed by the Allies.
In San Francisco, four cannons guarded the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco Bay against the initial Soviet invasion. During the Psychic Dominator Disaster, France authorized their design and knowledge to be shared in an effort against Yuri. Their design somehow spread beyond their intentions as such designs can be obtained by the Soviets via a secret Tech Secret Lab in their final battle in Transylvania.
Though Grand Cannons are very powerful, they also have many drawbacks:
- The shells fired from its cannon are rather inaccurate, and will likely miss moving targets, but a direct hit may not be required, given the powerful blast the projectile has.
- The structure had no defense against aircraft and incoming missiles.
- The Grand Cannons are expensive, requiring up to 2000 credits to deploy.
- The structure is large and require some space to be built.
- The structure have a minimum range of 3 means a paradropped group of basic infantry (lucky enough) can take down unwalled Grand Cannons; same thing happens when Navy SEALs or Tanya are dispatched from a NightHawk Transport.
- If enemies managed to get past the cannons and get into the base but are still in its range of fire, the shell can not only cause damage to enemies, but also to friendly units and structures.
- Requires a lot of power to operate. Taking out enough power plants will render the cannon offline.
- The shell is limited by terrain changes, target that placed within the area lower from the grand cannon (or if there are natural obstacle between the cannon and the target) the shell may not hit the target.
To solve this, there are many tips:
- Putting a Grand Cannon and a Gattling cannon makes a smart pair, because the Grand Cannon covers a large area while the Gattling cannon helps protect the Cannon from air units and covers the Cannon's blind spot.
- If the shells are inaccurate, try to put a Prism Tower near the cannon.
It is not known to operate after the events of the Psychic Dominator Disaster however, the United Kingdom used "remodeled" versions known as "Coastal Guns" to defend their coastline. After Cherdenko's trip to 1927, the Grand Cannons were erased from the timeline of War of the Three Powers. However, during the The Uprising, FutureTech developed the Pacifier FAV, which, when deployed, can perform a similar task to the Grand Cannon's with its dual 150mm artillery cannons.