|Obelisk Of Light|
Advanced Base Defence
|“|| Tall, ominous towers of doom. Does wonders for morale...|
- Anonymous GDI soldier, describing the structure
The Obelisk of Light is a shining example of military applications of LASER technology.
Born out of the need for a powerful defensive mechanism for Brotherhood military bases, the Obelisk is quite possibly the most powerful laser weapon in recorded history, result of Project Obelisk WDTA2411 5. Its mode of operation remained basically the same throughout the wars - massive capacitors underneath the structure amass power, which is then used to create a powerful laser beam, directed against enemies via a system of advanced optical and focusing systems. Obviously, it requires massive amounts of power to function.
With the Tacitus, CABAL created two variants of the Obelisk, the Obelisk of Darkness, and the CABAL Obelisk to defend its core. The CABAL Obelisk was a ground defense more powerful than even the standard Obelisks and the Obelisk of Darkness was capable of vaporizing any aircraft that came within firing range. The 2 defenses were powerful but both were destroyed by the combined GDI and Nod forces.
Obelisks of Light continued to be fielded following the Firestorm Crisis although their designs were changed to an appearance more akin to those seen in the First Tiberium War.
The Obelisk of Light in Tiberian Sun has a much different design to that of its predecessor. The obelisk now has a base to support the tower but its function as Nod's most powerful base defense remains the same.
- Highly effective against infantry and vehicles.
- Can destroy nearly anything in a single blast
- Defenseless against air units.
- High power consumption.
- Shuts down with insufficient power, leaving the base defenseless.
- Expensive (costs $1500).
- Artillery units can destroy the obelisk without taking any damage from it.
- Can only target one unit at a time.
- Ion Cannon can be used to destroy any Obelisks in an instant.
- Low rate of fire.
- ↑ Tiberian Dawn EVA Installation Sequence