|“|| It is your good fortune to be in the vanguard of the Soviet assault on the United States. Lead your troops through Washington and destroy the most hated symbol of American military power, the Pentagon.|
- Mission briefing
Operation: Red Dawn is the first mission of the Soviet Campaign in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2.
|The following is based on the Soviet campaign for Red Alert 2 and some details might contradict canon.|
As the USSR unleashes its forces on US mainland, a newly appointed Soviet Commander is given the task of invading Washington D.C. by Premier Romanov himself. In this endeavor, he is assisted by Zofia as his intelligence officer.
The US was completely off guard and mostly unprotected while the Soviets had been preparing for years.
The Soviets had legions of fresh and highly dedicated conscripts brought in by airplanes. More Conscripts could be deployed from a small base if necessary. A legion of Engineers were also used to capture enemy structures. Once the Soviets had advanced to the Pentagon, a battalion of Rhino Tanks arrived to assist. The Soviets drastically outnumbered the Allies, with hundreds of soldiers.
The Allies had a small base protecting the Pentagon, but it was ill-defended and quickly destroyed. There were also legions of G.I.s, but they were spread out and easy prey. The Allies clearly had not expected an attack, and they simply could not compete with the invaders.
The start of the Soviet attack was very surprising. The air raid siren was sounded by Washington defensive forces, but the anti-air defense wasn't able to deal with the transport planes. Soviets dropped one battle group of Paratroopers near Iwo Jima Monument where they didn't meet enemy resistance and killed several American civillians. Paratroop conscripts seized monument and replaced the American Flag with a Soviet one.
In a short time after paradrop, the Soviet landed some ground forces in short distance from Iwo Jima Monument. Mobile construction vehicle (Red Alert 2) which was part of these ground forces was assigned to paratroopers.
After the deploying of the base, paratroopers started their advance toward Pentagon. Soviets encountered a platoon of American GIs near a gas station. Company of conscripts took position inside gas station and eliminated group of enemy soldiers. A second company of conscripts advanced further, took position in a building and started to fire at the enemy base. Meanwhile, a third company entered the base and killed several soldiers. The first and second companies joined the attack, and eliminated the rest of the GIs and destroyed a battery of Patriots. Meanwhile the paratroopers battalion was reinforced by another company which was dropped to the conquered American base. However, the Americans hastily destroyed the bridge to delay the Soviet advance. Engineers were sent to repair bridge and they also captured the American power plants.
|“|| We cannot allow a bridge delay our conquest, Commander. Order your Engineer to enter the bridge's control station.|
- Lieutenant Zofia telling the new commander that a destroyed bridge can delay their mission.
The invaders crossed the bridge and entered nearby buildings to destroy gun emplacements and the GIs. They entered the base, cleared it of American soldiers and used paradropped engineers to capture the Tech Airport and the rest of the base.
The Soviets built up a strike force. Soon, they crossed the bridge towards the Pentagon. Rhino tanks took care of the pillboxes, and the Pentagon was swarmed with conscripts. Pentagon was finally destroyed with the help of additional paradropped reinforcements.
- Soviet forces attack anything they see, from civilians to vehicles. Use that to your advantage.
- Capture the Allied outpost near the destroyed bridge.
- There is another destroyed bridge near the Allied-occupied Airfield, where the Rhino Tanks in Amphibious transports will deploy.
- There are also 2 Oil Derricks to capture behind the Pentagon.
|“|| The Pentagon was crushed so quickly that many important American generals were captured by our victorious soldiers, crippling their armed forces.|
- The mission debriefing when played faster than at par time
|“|| Thanks to you, the Pentagon has been destroyed and the American military has been thrown into chaos.|
- The mission debriefing when played slower than at par time
The attack was a major success for the Soviets. The Soviets were able to capture many important American officers, thanks to the speed and ferocity of their attacks. They were also able to capture the city, and coupled with the civilian deaths, intimidated the |U.S. However, General Carville among others were able to escape after his office in the Pentagon was destroyed.
- Despite the fact Hitler was killed off in the first Red Alert to change history, Japan would become the Empire of the Rising Sun in Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3. Thus the Iwo Jima Memorial would still exist near the Soviet starting area. The same case applies regarding the appearance of the Arizona Memorial in the Allied campaign's seventh mission, Operation: Deep Sea.
- The mission title, Red Dawn, refers to a 1984 American war film of the same name directed by John Milius. The movie also depicts a Soviet Paratrooper invasion of the United States.
- The initials of one of the game designers appear in the lower right corner of the map. The easiest way to reveal them is to drop paratroopers there.
- There are several Pick-up Trucks containing power-up crates near your starting location before entering the first Allied outpost. Interestingly, every single Pick-up Truck drops a crate in the mission. This prompts some players to a rabbit hunt.
- The docked civilian ships provide an easy promotion to any conscript that destroys them. Coupled with the truck containing a veterancy crate at the docks, you can begin your assault of the first Allied position with five Elite Conscripts and several more Veterans.
- In the second Allied outpost, there is a second destroyed bridge. Repairing it with an engineer and sending scouts to the parking lot next to the beach revealed will call for Rhino tank reinforcements