| This article is written from a|
real world point of view.
The damage is too extensive!
Renegade X has been marked for cleanup.
|Latest version||Singleplayer standalone:|
Black Dawn, 30 January 2012
Open Beta 5.282, 26 January 2017
|Release Date||Singleplayer standalone:|
Black Dawn, 30 January 2012
26 February 2014
|Engine||Unreal Engine 3 (UDK)|
|Modes||Singleplayer (Black Dawn),|
multiplayer (1.0 onwards)
|Requirements||"None for Current Versions"
Unreal Tournament 3 (v0.55 only)
Renegade-X is a free first-person shooter developed by Totem Arts. The aim of the project is to recreate and modernize Westwood Studios' Command and Conquer: Renegade multiplayer experience. Originally envisioned as a remake of the game in Unreal Engine 3, Renegade-X has evolved into more of a spiritual successor. Featuring updated gameplay, improved balance, enhanced graphics, intricate strategic depth, and a new approach to map design, Renegade-X aims to improve upon the original.
In September 2009, Renegade-X beta 0.55 was publicly released as a multiplayer-only modification for Unreal Tournament 3. After this version, the mod is no longer being developed as a modification for UT3, but as a free standalone game using Unreal Development Kit (UDK). As a result, the 0.55 beta is still available from the site, but no longer supported or patched by the development team.
On 28 January 2012, Totem Arts released a singleplayer demo called Renegade X: Black Dawn, a short standalone singleplayer game. The multiplayer version was first released on 26 February 2014 as an open beta, with Black Dawn missions excluded.
While most the gameplay and unit roster and design were left intact and easily recognizable, the creators of Renegade X wanted to improve the original Renegade gameplay by adding many new features as well.
Aim down the sight (ADS)
While still keeping the arcade-shooter feel of fast-action, low-recoil, drawn-out gunfights from the original C&C Renegade, many weapons now have the ability to aim down sights just like modern shooters, which improve the accuracy and effective range of many weapons.
Capturable Tech Buildings
Structures in the mid-field can be captured by repairing their Master Control Terminal (MCT) instead of destroyed, granting your team a bonus (e.g. Tiberium silos increase income).
Master Control Terminal
This makes a return from C&C Renegade, but can be significantly damaged by small arms fire now. Any firearm can do significant damage to an MCT, from basic infantry doing 10% damage a clip, to advanced infantry doing 20-40% damage. 1 Timed C4, or 2 Remote C4, still do 1/3rd total damage to a structure, annihilating it in three bricks.
Structures have an armour and health bar. In total, it is equivalent to 120% of the building health in the original Renegade, 60% in armor and 60% in health. However, only armour can be repaired. Any damage over 61% to the structure is dealt to health, and cannot be repaired, leaving the building permanently damaged.
Anti-Tank Infantry: Now slower than average infantry, resistant to explosive damage, more vulnerable against bullets.
Anti-Personnel Infantry: Now faster than average infantry, resistant to bullet damage, average explosive damage.
- Airstrike-Marker Binoculars, purchase separately with any infantry.
- Weak Repair-Disarm Handtools, require recharge after use, purchase separately with any infantry.
- Anti-Tank Mines, 2 included with advanced anti-tank infantry.
- EMP Grenades, prevents enemy vehicle from moving, disarms enemy Proximity C4, included with advanced anti-tank infantry.
- Smoke Grenades, prevent enemy base defenses from firing at allies in the smoke, included with advanced anti-personnel infantry.
- Proximity C4, also known as Anti-Personnel Mines, or just Mines. Stronger than in C&C Renegade, but still have a team-limit. Used to prevent infantry from entering doors. Included with Hotwire/Technician.
- Free Characters retain the original suppressed pistol, Advanced Characters often carry Machine Pistols, Heavy Pistols, and Carbine Rifles as Sidearms.
- In addition to 4 original free classes, a new free 5th class, Marksman, a weak long-range sniper.
- Formerly Rocket Officers, now called Rocket Soldiers, use a single-fire high-damage lock-on bazooka, instead of a 6 shot missile launcher (which is still carried by GDI Gunner).
- 500-cost Snipers do high damage but cannot kill most full-health advanced infantry in one hit.
- 1000-cost Snipers have lethal headshots, but cannot kill free infantry in one hit with body shots.
- All infantry have much more reserve ammo than in Renegade.
Global Defense Initiative:
- Airstrike-Marker Binoculars, summon to the target location, 3 salvos of passing A10 fire.
- Formerly cheap and expensive variants of GDI Sydney, the cheap variation was replaced entirely, by a new GDI McFarland character, equipped with a Flak-Gun equivalent to a Tier-2 Shotgun/Grenadier.
- GDI Patch, no longer carrying Tiberium-Flechette Handgun, instead carries Tactical-Rifle, good against both infantry and vehicle armor, with a under-barrel grenade launcher.
- Volt Autorifle, has a secondary to build up charge and release a high-damage slow-moving ball of electricity.
Brotherhood of Nod:
- Airstrike-Marker Binoculars, summon to the target location, cannon-fire from an overhead AC130.
- Laser Rifle now has 30-round magazine and 3-round burst-fire and infinite ammo.
- Laser Chaingun now has 120-round magazine and infinite ammo.
- Nod Mendoza, no longer carrying Volt Autorifle, instead carries Tiberium Autorifle, a new explosive Blue-Tiberium variant that fires flechette bullets and splash grenades.
Vehicles have the same roster as original C&C Renegade. Various changes and improvements include:
- The APC and Transport-Helicoper carry 5 total occupants.
- The Transport-Helicoper now wields passenger-operated miniguns.
- The Nod Apache uses a rapid-fire missile pod, with high burst damage and slow reload, and a machinegun.
- The GDI Orca use 4 stronger single-missiles, with high burst damage and slow reload, and a machinegun.
- The Mammoth Tank use twin-cannons and a missile pod, with high burst damage and slow reload.
- Any missile-based vehicle weapon, now has homing missiles and the ability to lock-on to targets.
- Among various possible rewards from crates, you can now get Tiberian-Sun era vehicles: Titans, Wolverines, HoverMRLS, TickTank, ReconBike, and AntiArmorBuggy.
Along with new features, the creators wanted to introduce new maps right alongside the "standard rotation" with the original maps. This is also to demonstrate the engine's endless possibilities.
C&C_Mesa was renamed to CnC_Mesa II. Since Beta 4, this map has had many changes in function.
Alternatively, CnC_WallsFlying is almost identical to it's C&C Renegade counterpart.
CnC_Field is much less modified, though changes were made where they might benefit reducing stalemates.
Goldrush, Lakeside and Whiteout are Renegade X exclusive maps, not from C&C Renegade. Nonetheless, they are well-established since early versions of Renegade X.
The advent of Beta 4 reintroduced more C&C Renegade original maps, Canyon, Complex, as well as a significantly modified Under, now named CnC_UnderRedux.
The release of Beta 5 has seen the introduction to Infantry-Only maps, the first official one being CnC_Valley.
Also introduced in Beta 5 was the inclusion of community-made maps, using the Ren-X Software Development Kit, the UDK build that Totem Arts released. Included in the official updates, are maps made by members of the playerbase, the first of which were CnC_TrainingYard and CnC_Eyes.
For the Black Dawn Singleplayer Beta:
- Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7
- Processor: Intel Pentium D 3,0 GHz / AMD Athlon64 X2 4400 2.2 GHz
- Memory: 1 GB for Windows XP / 2 GB for Windows Vista/7
- Video: 256 MB
- Sound Card: compatible with DirectX 9.0
- Free HDD: 4.5 GB
For the Multiplayer/Skirmish Beta 5+, at minimum:
- Operating System: Windows XP/Vista/7 for Client, can run server through Linux via virtual OS
- Processor: ~2.6GHz CPU
- Memory: 3 GB RAM free (after idle/background usage)
- Video: 256 MB, either dedicated, or newer than 2012 if integrated.
- Sound Card: compatible with DirectX 9.0
- Disk Space: 10 GB
- For Leaderboards, game detects Steam login in background