GD-2 assault rifles
GDI body armor
75 per squad member
9 per squad member (Gun)
0.2 seconds per burst, 0.35 seconds reload
Armed with automatic GD-2 rifles and standard GDI body armor, these six men squads are well trained and equipped. Every soldier carries with him a portable shovel, used to create foxholes on the battlefield.
Riflemen have access to advanced composite armor suits or Tiberium field suits that provide them with better protection. On the battlefield, they maintain their fitness by doing push ups, usually in sets of five or so.
|Dig in||Makes the squad dig in and create a garrisonable foxhole (Ctrl+S).|
|Call for transport||Calls in a V-35 Ox to carry the Rifleman squad anywhere on the map (Ctrl+A).|
|Composite armor||Equips the troopers with composite armor suits, increasing health. Effectively reduce damage from flamethrowers (Ctrl+A).||Purchasable at any Armory for $1500 and takes 0:45 to research.|
|Tiberium field suits||Equips the troopers with Tiberium field suits, making them immune to Tiberium radiation and better resists damage from weapons, that based on tiberium (ZOCOM only) (Ctrl+A).||Purchasable at any ZOCOM Armory for $1000 and takes 0:30 to research.|
|AP ammo||Equips the troopers with AP ammo, increasing damage. Much more effective versus vehicles (Kane's Wrath only) (Ctrl+A).||Purchasable at any Command Post for $2000 and takes 1:00 to research.|
Rifleman Squads are GDI's counterpart to Nod's Militants and the Scrin's Buzzers. Riflemen cost 300, as opposed to the 200 credit cost of their counterparts. They have more firepower as well and tend to last longer in battle. Their squad size is smaller than a Militant squad, at only 6 soldiers instead of 8, making them more vulnerable to snipers and sometimes to area attack as well. However, each soldier has more health, increasing their chance of surviving being hit by a highly damaging attack. Keep in mind that in Kane's Wrath, Riflemen are inferior to the Black Hand subfaction's Confessor Cabals, who are the deadliest of the basic infantry units.
Unupgraded Riflemen can defeat unupgraded Militant squads efficiently. However, with the Confessor upgrade Militants can often defeat riflemen, since their Confessor squad leader is particularly strong and also possesses the ability to throw Hallucinogenic Grenades which can turn the Riflemen against each other. Militants can also get the Tiberium Infusion upgrade cheaply and early on, which further bolsters their health and makes them tougher than Riflemen. However, once Riflemen get Composite Armor or Tiberium Field Suits (ZOCOM only), they gain a large health bonus and become much harder to kill, evening the odds.
The Armor-Piercing Ammunition upgrade available in Kane's Wrath significantly boosts the damage of Riflemen squads and turns them into one of the most effective counter-infantry units on the field, being cheap, disposable, but good at killing enemy infantry and decent at damaging light vehicles. Combining this with Composite Armor or Tiberium Field Suits makes them very durable as well, being good at ranged combat in general, though still vulnerable to being crushed.
Buzzers, like with most infantry, can instantly kill a Rifleman squad once they get on top of them. However, Riflemen can easily dispatch a single Buzzer unit if they are provided enough range between them and the target, so they tend to only be vulnerable to large groups of Buzzers.
They can also build garrisonable Foxholes, where infantry can garrison for a defense bonus. Unfortunately, it costs 100 credits to create a foxhole, takes time to build, and Foxholes are vulnerable to anti-garrison weapons like flamethrowers, Grenades and Buzzers.
GDI commanders (except for Steel Talons commanders) have access to the Armory building, which allows them to replace fallen squad members and heal surviving ones for free. Other factions lack the ability to replace fallen squad members, so a good commander should consider taking advantage of this in the right situations.
- Best basic infantry unit. (Tiberium Wars only)
- Well-balanced basic infantry, especially when upgraded.
- Reasonable health and attack power.
- Reasonable speed.
- Can garrison buildings for increased protection.
- Dig In ability allows Riflemen to create a foxhole, which may garrison an infantry squad.
- Composite Armor upgrade increases armor and hit points.
- Tiberium Field Suit upgrade increases armor and hit points, gives increased protection to Tiberium-based weapons and provides immunity to Tiberium radiation exposure. (Kane's Wrath / ZOCOM Only)
- AP Ammo upgrade increases damage. (Kane's Wrath only)
- Their Foxhole protects them from being run over by tanks
- More expensive than other basic infantry ($300, while Buzzers and Militants are $200).
- Vulnerable to anti-infantry units and weapons.
- Vulnerable to aircraft.
- Vulnerable to garrison-clearing weaponry when inside structures.
- Dig In ability costs credits and leaves squad vulnerable while digging foxhole.
- Fewer soldiers per squad than Nod Militants.
- Can easily be squished by treaded vehicles
- Rifle squad ready!
- Rifleman awaiting orders!
- Rifle squad!
- Keep your weapon ready!
- Reporting in!
- Yes sir!
- Squad ready!
- Ground support!
- Securing area!
- Riflemen, move out!
- This way rifle squad!
- Move out!
- Rendezvous point confirm!
- Roger out!
- Cleared for garrison!
- Securing structure!
- Garrison force enroute!
Digging a Foxhole
- Dig in!
- Set her up!
- Enemy in range!
- Clear to engage!
- Light 'em up!
- Yes sir, we'll hold the line!
- Make a push!
Move to Attack
- Entering combat zone!
- Move to engage!
- Hostile identified!
- Approaching the enemy!
- Yes, roger that sir!
- Roger that sir, right away!
- Lets go boys move out!
- Hold your ground, soldiers!
- Don't let up !
- Let 'em have it!
- Keep your eyes open!
- Stay together now!
- Hold the line!
- Keep the fire on, boys!
- That's it!
- Keep the heat on 'em!
- That is, keep them out!
- Yes, sir!
- That's right!
- Drop back!
- Hold your fire!
- Go backup man!
- Retreat! Retreat!
- We got to move! We got to move out!
- Let's fallback!
- Take cover!
- Watch out!
- Keep down!
Behind the scenes
Originally, the riflemen were supposed to have full body armor, while the Commandos were supposed to wear lighter, less constraining armor. However, somewhere along the line, Commandos were given the fully armored look, while the riflemen received the lightly armored models.
Selling Watchtowers in the early game can provide a fast riflemen squad for immediate scouting purposes.
- Militant Squad - Nod's basic infantry
- Confessor Cabal - Black Hand's basic infantry
- Awakened - Marked of Kane's basic infantry
- Buzzers - Scrin's basic infantry