|“|| The wings of Nod.|
- Shadow Team
Shadow Teams are elite special forces units of Nod.
They are trained much like the ninjas of ages past, providing them with great skill at stealth and infiltration. Much like their famed forebears, Shadows are capable of seemingly appearing from nowhere and moving at lightning speed, usually in groups of four. Perhaps this was because they were trained in stealth. Shadows wear body-fitting jumpsuits with lightweight body armor and a full-head plexiglass helmet with rebreathers. The armor is equipped with collapsible powered hang-gliders, giving them the ability to fly. In combat, they wield dual fully automatic pistols that make short work of infantry. They also carry a special explosive that can destroy vital structures; the chemical composition of this weapon was acquired by Nod spies from GDI laboratories.
GDI, soon after the deployment of Shadow Teams, began introducing borderline paranoid security measures, especially learning of the Shadow strike teams. After noting the effectiveness of GDI Juggernauts being spotted for by sniper teams, Nod has equipped its Shadow teams with special artillery beacons, allowing for a devastating barrage from Nod Specter artillery units. These beacons may also be deployed in-flight.
Although powerful, the Shadow Teams have several drawbacks. First, while gliding, they are incapable of defending themselves, and units with both stealth detection and anti-air capability can make quick work of them. Second, while capable of shredding infantry, the sub-machine guns they carry are ineffective against most types of vehicles. The guns also lacked range, and if their targets were not eliminated, it placed the Shadows at risk due to their lack of armor. Sniper teams and Buzzers are also very effective at decimating them.
The existence of Nod stealth infantry had been present in the previous two Tiberium Wars. During the First Tiberium War, the Brotherhood made use of Black Hand elite soldiers wearing Stealth suits making them a dangerous foe against the Global Defense Initiative. In the Second Tiberium War, Nod used Chameleon Spies as operatives in special missions. Capitalizing on this earlier effectiveness, the Brotherhood created Shadow Teams at some point after the Firestorm Crisis.
Kane deployed several teams of Shadows on a mission commanded by his loyal AI LEGION in order to retrieve advanced GDI technology as well as the plans to the enemy's Ion Cannon's. These Shadows were supported by a Nod Commando in order to complete the mission. During the Third Tiberium War, shadow teams made significant contributions during the Attack on Goddard Space Center, retrieving the missing components in Slovenia and sabotaging GDI and Scrin defenses in Operation Stiletto.
The Shadow Teams are comparable to the GDI Sniper Teams in many ways, including their strong damage versus infantry, their stealth training, and ability to act as spotters for their respective artillery pieces. Like snipers, they require their faction's infantry tech building (ie. the Secret Shrine). Shadow Teams are excellent for hit and run tactics, as they can slip into enemy bases and take down key structures such as power plants and war factories. They are not nearly as resilient as the Zone Raider or other heavy infantry, and should be used inventively and with care.
Despite carrying explosives, they are nowhere near as efficient in demolition as a commando is, as it often takes several squads or several goes at a structure to destroy, which may only alert the enemy that they have been infiltrated. More often then, the mere sighting of a shadow team will set off alarms and cause the enemy to build up their defenses to a paranoid level (anti-air units covering the back of the base where there maybe a impassible ridge or body of water, anti infantry defenses watching every square foot of ground inside the base) and can potentially change the tactics of the opposition from an offense strategy to dedicating to defense.
- Very fast infantry unit, capable of evading most vehicles and infantry with ease.
- Carry explosives that can damage or destroy key structures
- Machine Pistols give them the ability to kill most types of infantry in mere seconds, including commandos
- Gliders enable Shadow Teams to attack from otherwise inexcessible routes.
- Excellent for scouting and placing beacons for Specter artillery strikes.
- Can Demolish a not well defended base in large numbers
- Machine pistols are utterly useless against heavily armored vehicles and structures.
- Shadow Team explosives do a set damage rather than instantly kill structures like Commandos' Explosives, so often requires multiple uses.
- Shadow Team explosives have a relatively long cooldown.
- Very weak armor, only takes a few seconds to cut a shadow team down.
- Very vulnerable to snipers and other stealth detection systems.
- Stronger Infantry can take and do damage more quickly, and more numerous infantry can overwhelm them.
- Weapons range is short, meaning they have to close in to a considerable amount of distance to commence attacks.
- Helpless when using gliders against anti-air defenses.
- Unable to take out walkers with explosives
- Very small squads at a max of four per squad.
- Somewhat expensive (800 credits)
Prepping blueprints for expansion...
Shadow Team is a stub and needs your help. You can help by expanding it.
Please refer to the talk page for further discussion.
- Shadow team at your command!
- The wings of Nod!
- It is our path!
- In silence!
- The way is clear...
- It will be done!
- It must not exist!
- Their death awaits!
- Going for the kill!
- That is our target!
- Into these walls!
- A place of rest...
- Going in!
- They must not live!
- They resist us!
- They waiver!
- We go!