Sonic grenade launchers
Light (100% Cannon, 100% Rocket, 100% Grenade, 100% Gun, 1% Sniper)
750 (x5) (Rocket)
0.3 seconds, 7.5 seconds to reload full clip
|“|| The skies are clear!|
- ORCA Gunship
Unsatisfied with the Orca Gunship that the majority of GDI employed at the time, ZOCOM had their own model of Orca designed and employed within their squadrons. These ZOCOM Orcas are outfitted with Sonic Grenade launchers, which cause powerful area-of-effect damage.
ZOCOM can also upgrade their Orca Gunships with ceramic armour plating, increasing its lifespan substantially. They cost as much as Firehawks however and are mostly used for carpet bombing, as the Orca's sonic grenades are unsuitable for surgical strikes into enemy territory.
|Pulse Scan||Emits a stealth-detecting scan in a small radius around it. This ability has a 1 minute cooldown (Ctrl+A).|
|Sensor pods||Deploy a stealth-detecting sensor pod. This activated ability costs $100 to use, but has no cooldown (Ctrl+S).|
|Return to base||Orders the Orca to break off and immediately return to its docking station (Ctrl+D).|
|Sensor pod||This upgrade allows the Orca to deploy a stealth-detecting Sensor Pod that can be launched onto friendly or enemy vehicles and structures, or onto the ground (Ctrl+S).||Purchasable at any Command Post for $500 and takes 0:15 to research.|
|Ceramic armour||Gain a significant degree of protection (Ctrl+S).||Purchasable at ZOCOM Airfield for $1000 and takes 0:30 to research.|
As the war with Nod seemed to drag on with no end in sight, GDI's ZOCOM branch looked to other, more unconventional means of defeating the Nod forces that seemed to infest every nook and cranny. Thus, the ZOCOM Orca was developed.
Based on the immensely successful Orca strike aircraft of GDI's standard ranks, the ZOCOM Orca has two major alterations: Its rockets launchers were removed and replaced with sonic grenade launchers. Unlike standard rockets, sonic grenades have a decent area of effect and can cause massive and sometimes lethal damage to infantry and ground vehicles.
Its one area of failure, however, is other aircraft. The Mk.II has devastating air-to-ground capability, but lacks the equipment neceassary to engage airborne targets, and so is a preverbial sitting duck when other aircraft are present. Sending them in to distract enemy air units is a viable but expensive proposition; ZOCOM Orcas do not come cheap. Their one strength in such situations is the Ceramic Armor upgrade. This adds an extra layer of hardened armor plating to the existing layer, virtually doubling its survivability. Skilled Commanders protect their Orcas well with followers of mobile AA or, missile-armed, Firehawk escort to protect Orcas from hostile air.
- Extremely devastating to infantry and ground vehicles
- Just as fast as a standard Orca
- Ceramic Plates make for a durable aircraft
- Several can severely damage an epic unit
- Fires very fast, shrinking the window it is exposed to enemy fire
- Excellent for support and assault roles
- Very expensive
- Unable to hit fast moving units
- AA units are still a considerable threat
- Unable to engage other aircraft
- Easily destroyed
- Shares the same detection issue with the standard orca which its detection systems must be activated manually
- Has to return to base to reload, while Hammerheads loaded with Zone Raiders could provide similar firepower and stay over the battlefield as long as the Commander needs it with infinite ammunition.